Re: Potential new project: Calculator (scientific,graphing,statistical)

Bill Tihen wrote:

> Now we are beyond my researching and anyalysis experience.  But I was
> worried that it would be easy to get more complicated.
    Oops. :)

> Spreadsheets are good at messaging data, but they are very limited
> in their ability to graph data.  Often measurements are taken at
? non-regular intervals however, spreadsheets won't usually graph
> data at irregular intervals.  I have also had little success with
> proper graphing of error bars overlaid on best fits.
     In my case, I get stuck either building my own graph types using
SigmaPlot or cursing the spreadsheet. SigmaPlot is good for what you
want, but it isn't OSS. You might be better using GNUplot though I admit
I haven't used it yet.

> These sound good, but I worry that we will then make the project
> impossible.  I think something good as a little graphing calculator
> fullfil the needs of many and perhaps that is on a more imaginable
> scale than an application that scales well to real research.  I
> would of course love the perfect analysis tool, but I would hate to
> kill a perfectly good project by being over ambitious.
     Agreed. In my case, I know exactly what I want, but the question
remains as to whether that vision is compatible with others' needs.

     Cheers,

     Pete

--
Pete St. Onge - McGill U.  Limnology - Fun with Ropes & Buckets
pete@seul.org                  http://wwp.mirabilis.com/4322052