Re: LINUX Advocacy : IBM to sell Linux on computers servicedby Red Hat]

Hi All,
     Sorry to have been so ... absent .. lately; I went to a conference
in Edmonton and lit out to go to the West Coast for a couple of days. I
came back to find some 501 email messages waiting for me. Once I dig
out, I'll be getting more and more into things (like the advocacy doc).
     Bill - I was looking at SAMBA a little while ago, and have a
previous version working fine with NT4SP3. Now, that said, I had to
disable a few things on my NT box for it to work properly (using 'light'
security, f'rinstance). From what I understand, from SAMBA 2.0 and on,
sharing is a bit more difficult to set up as there are a fair number of
security options enabled by default in the binaries. I don't know the
details yet, but once we upgrade my box at school (will share with a
couple of Win95 boxes, perhaps others later) later this week, I should
be running into the same things as you. Please let me know if you find
anything in the meanwhile. In passing, could you describe your NT
network a bit more (# NTW4SP3 boxes, # NTS4SP3 boxes, etc)?

--
Pete St. Onge - McGill U.  Limnology - Fun with Ropes & Buckets
pete@seul.org                  http://wwp.mirabilis.com/4322052