Re: [seul-edu] Linux in education report #6

On Mon, 07 Feb 2000 21:07:57 Doug Loss wrote:
*> It's here:
*>
*> <http://www.seul.org/edu/report6.html>

Hmm... the link to k12linux is not working.

I also wish to give my presence here a thought.

SEUL is for making linux systems useable by non-admin end users, right?

And Pangée is not at all architectured with ease of administration in
mind.
It is built around the common Unix paradigm: the admin knows what he is
doing; the user needs to be put in an iron box so he won't hurt himself.

Pangée is a 2-level client-server software. Installing a SQL database
server only is non-trivial, and the Pangée server should require some
hand configuration. (except if you're using Debian, which leads to this
funny constatation: Debian is easier (to administer) than RedHat;)

The client side _is_ trivial; but only installing the client (though it
is probably by far the best configuration) is certainly not going to be
possible for everybody, as few people have a leased line at home. So
maybe I'm only on the "edu" half of "seul-edu"? ;)

This leads me to the more fundamental question: is there anything going
on on SEUL that revolves around that iron box paradigm and the need to
dissociate user and admin?

Oh, and I realized mailx tends to not split long lines of outgoing
messages, making them uncomfortable to read on some mailers. So I should
not be using it from now on. Sorry about my last messages being
cluttered...

Thomas Tempe

--
Maybe Computer Science should be in the College of Theology.
                -- R. S. Barton