Re: [seul-edu] Simplified End User Linux

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 08:27:03PM +0000, Justin Zeigler wrote:
>   Finally just because I suggest a new domain/server does
> not mean I think SEUL/EDU should be done away with or
> branched off. In my opinion there is no reason that
> www.something-edu-linux.com can't just be an intro/news
> page that is a portal or even a redirect to the main
> SEUL-EDU Page.

I'm confused about what you actually want to get here.

Do you simply want a domain address which is more easily recognizable as
being 'for linux in education'? If so, I think as people pointed out, there
are a number of them out there already. If you can think of a really good
'something-edu-linux' as above that isn't already taken, I recommend you
grab it. I'm concerned about your mention of companies and your implicit
.com at the end of your example domain name up above, but I guess that's
none of my business. :)

If you just want another domain, that's very easy to do. Belegost and cran
currently serve:
  seul.org
  linuxunited.org
  openstandards.org (don't go announcing this one on news sites until Wade
                     is ready, please)
  iafs.org
and we can easily host more.
There's a catch, of course: we won't host .com domains. If you want to do
ads or directly sell products or services, you'll want to go make a deal
with VA or Mandrake or similar.

If you want a separate server to host the domain, you haven't made clear
why you want that. I've got machines and people around the country and
world who have offered to host projects and mirrors if my computers here
can't handle them.
If you want a separate machine for the domain because you think you can
get VA or Mandrake to give it to you, this is quite reasonable (I've
seen it done several times), but I would try to persuade you to put your
energy towards making Linux more suited to education rather than
worrying about computers or where what is going to live.

One of the points of seul is to make you guys not have to care about
that, so you can concentrate on development.

Hope this clarifies a bit.
Thanks,
--Roger