Re: [seul-edu] Gradebook Architecture

Eric Sandeen writes:
 > "David C. Moore" wrote:
 > > I've taken a long look at SIF (http://www.schoolsinterop.org) and decided
 > > that I like it very much.  It is just a specification for message passing
 > > between applications based on XML.  It requires a central server (the ZIS)
 > > to mediate the transmission of the messages from application to
 > > application.  Code for such a server has been written by Microsoft for NT,
 > > but it should not be difficult to code our own for Linux, since we have
 > > the specs, and do not need to use any MS code.
 >
 > Reading the license for the ZIS, I think we even _could_ use the MS
 > code, if it would be helpful.  The license looks like the closest thing
 > to the GPL that could ever come out of Redmond.   :)
 >
 > I'm glad you like SIF - some heavy hitters in the commercial world have
 > signed on to it, and frankly, I think that if we go off and design our
 > own architecture (unrelated to SIF) we'll likely get left in the dust.
 >
 > Ok, I'm going to go read your spec now.  :)

I think we should be careful to prior understand if redoing a free ZIS
compatible server is that easy. Microsoft has alway been master in
locking market to its own interest.

As a Gnome enthusiast I suggest looking closely at the use of Corba
done in Corba. It look like this does the same kind of feature. But
Corba is open and platform independent

Hilaire