Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Debian-kids goals (draft)]: cartoon characters

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Justin Zeigler wrote:
> If we try to manufacture a "kid cartoon" we will probabely create
> something that us adults think is wonderfull and that kids just
> completely ignore. Remember most cartoons/kids stuff evolves
> from a completely spontaneous idea and then warped into an idea
> and storyline that for some reason kids like.

Yup.  It is a process we have little control over.  Therefore I
think our efforts are better spent looking about us to find imagery
that is already both free and appealing to children.

On the flip side, open publishing is something we should back.  But I
think it'll be a while yet before we see stuff really emerge from such an
effort into the mainstream and catch the attention of children everywhere.
Sadly, the almighty buck is largely what determines what our children are
exposed to most in our culture.

Ben