Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: Debian-kids goals (draft)]: cartoon characters

Ben Armstrong wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Justin Zeigler wrote:
> > how about charecters from books +95 yrs old like any of the
> > wonderful charecters from Alice in Wonderland and Thru the
> > Looking Glass?
>
> A wonderful idea!  Many of these books populate our house, and we have
> a scanner too ... does the fact that the artwork is 95+ years old mean
> it's now fair game to copy them and incorporate them into desktops?  (I'm
> not that familiar with copyright law.)

As far as I'm aware, copyright expires 50 years after the death of the
author. This (I'm almost sure) applies equally well to music, art and
literature.

Dan
--
dankolb@ox.compsoc.net

'Common sense is a set of prejudices built up over a lifetime'
--I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any comments or
  opinions expressed--