Re: [seul-edu] Need advice

At 10:26 PM 02/21/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>To all y'all experienced guys out there,
>     I am putting together a file server for my classroom that is going to
> be much faster that what has been there before. (From a 486 with a 100mhz
> Overdrive and 40 meg to a 200 mhz dual Pentium Pro with over 100 meg -
> should be just a little quicker.)
>     A few questions:
>1. All ten clients run Redhat 6.2, as does the old server. Should I load
>the same on the new one, or upgrade to 7.0? I've become rather familiar
>with 6.2, so I'm wondering if there is enough advantage to make it worthwhile?

Load the same, 6.2 but get the fixes.  you may want to upgrade the kernel
on the server too to 2.4, but it should be unnecessary.

>2. Will I need to do something special when installing to take advantage
>of the dual processors?

no redhat autodetects.  you will need to follow special directions if you
recompile the kernel.

>3. I will probably have a 1 gig and a 2 gig drive available. Is there a
>"best" way to partition them? At first, there will not be any xterms
>running off the server, but should I do anything special to reserve space
>for later just in case? For now, all I really need is /home to be
>available for read/write, and /opt and /usr/local for read only.
>     In RH 6.2 with /boot, /home, /usr, /opt, and ./usr/local on separate
> partitions, the root partition only takes about 100 to 120 meg. Would it
> be sufficient to reserve about 200 meg for /, 500 meg for /home, 128meg
> for swap and 12 meg for boot on one drive, while putting about 500 meg
> for /opt and the rest for /usr on the other drive? Or is it better to
> make /usr/local a separate partition?
i don't think it is better to put usr/local on a separate partition, just
make your /usr partition of reasonable size.  You already stated you wanted
an /opt which is where big installations like openoffice and corel office
install.

>Thanks in advance for the advice.
>Dave Prentice
><mailto:prentice@instruction.com>prentice@instruction.com

Jeremy Hunsinger          	http://www.cddc.vt.edu
Instructor of Political Science	Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Webmaster/Manager CDDC     http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/cyber
526 Major Williams Hall 0130	http://www.cddc.vt.edu/jeremy --my homepage
Virginia Tech			(yes i need to update it)
Blacksburg, VA 24061		(540)-231-7614  icq 5535471