Re: [seul-edu] Which version of Linux to use?

The 2.2 kernel takes up much less memory than the 2.4 kernel. The 2.4 kernel
broke a lot of single-floppy Linux setups used for firewalls and routers.

Also, with the newer distributions, a Pentium processor is required. I think
this is a 2.4 kernel requirement, but I am sure that it went into effect in
Mandrake 8.0, which introduced the 2.4 kernel into that distribution. I
haven't kept up with the Red Hat situation as well.

If you want to use 486 systems, that means a 2.2 kernel, or RedHat 6.2,
Mandrake 7.1 or equivalent.