[seul-edu] BOUNCE seul-edu@seul.org: Non-member submission from [HansBOUNCE seul-edu@seul.org: Non-member submission from [Hans

From: Hans Paijmans <paai@kub.nl>
To: seul-edu@seul.orgSubject: Re: [seul-edu] Terrible news
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 10:01:07 +0100

On Sunday 02 February 2003 04:19, Gary Dunn wrote:
It often comes as a supprise to Americans that our space program is seen
by people from onther nations as foreign policy, and that our foreign
policy is unpopular.

It can come as a shock that someone with whom we share an interest can
have seemingly incompatible beliefs in other areas.

At times like this, one of the great values of forums like this is bridge
building. We have something in common. Leverage that to find out more
about each other, and learn to respect the differences. We don't all have
to be the same in order to be successful. We cannot succeed if we withdraw
into comfortable groups.
Thank you (and other readers) for not blowing your top about my reaction
(that all to easy might have been misunderstood).

On one hand I agree with those that feel this list should confine itself
to Linux and education. On the other hand I always think of usenet and
mailing lists as very human congregations of, eh..., humans where
one may vent off-topic opinions as long as they do not monopolize
the area.

Dragging the discussion back on-topic, I want to say that I try to
reduce (not prohibit) Microsoft in education, because the near-absolute power that a monopoly wields, has no place in education, be it evil or
benign. In the same way I am very much afraid of the absolute power of the american nation, not because the USA is evil, but because
absolute power is Not Good (TM) in itself.

Sorry if I hurt some peoples feelings.

Paai

--
Dr. J.J. Paijmans