[Fwd: Re: [seul-edu] ISO Phase 3: Coordination]

Subject: Re: [seul-edu] ISO Phase 3: Coordination
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:14:46 +0700
From: David Bucknell <david@members.iteachnet.org>
To: drloss@suscom.net

Dear Doug,

Here's the lame, late and lightweight reality of how little I've done on the ISO review. It sorely lacks installation experience on these apps, but it does (to me) point at the ones that ought to be installed. I'll have the rest done by Friday, hopefully before. If you'll tell me something obvious that I ought to add in I will gladly do so.

David
--
http://www.iteachnet.org
http://members.iteachnet.org/webzine *

http://members.iteachnet.org/
http://www.opensourceschools.org/
Title: ISO Project: Intranets
Categorization: I think that a new category should be created called course builders and that such tools as AUC, Manhattan and FLE should be in that category. Courseware, if it can be described by its present contents, should be various tools that may, or may not, fit within a course building environment. Further, I think a category called groupware is merited. Intranets contain all of the other categories.

Both courseware and course builders may be found on intranets, but they may also be found on the Internet or a desktop.

intranet defined:

<networking> Any network which provides similar services within an organisation to those provided by the Internet outside it but which is not necessarily connected to the Internet. The commonest example is the use by a company of one or more World-Wide Web servers on an internal TCP/IP network for distribution of information within the company.

- FOLDOC

The problem is, there is another term, groupware, which may mean the same thing, but which need not be net-like:

Groupware or Computer Supported Cooperative Work

<tool> (CSCW) (Or "groupware") Software tools and technology to support groups of people working together on a project, often at different sites.

FOLDOC

Then again, there's

Courseware

<application> Programs and data used in Computer-Based Training.

A Wiki may be a bit of intranet/Web site and a bit of group ware, too.

Comment: It is clear that a number of tools have been placed in the intranet category because they would be good constituents of an intranet. The intranet, however, is the container, however, and

App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Anecdotal Student Progress System - Chris Lehman

yes
no
1-
Move to courseware; this is part of an intranet.
5 -php/
mysql
5
4
4
5
5
4
3
5
40
App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Atutor
yes
no
1-Move to course builders.
5-php/
mysql
5
4
3
3
3 (ahead of its time?)
5
5
3
37
App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
AUC
yes
yes
5-yes - appropriate with course builders
sub-category
5-php/
mysql
5
1
4
4
4
4
5
3
39
App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Campus

*
*
1
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Cellarius
yes
no
"document sharing, discussion boards, announcements, and link sharing for collaborative groups and sub-groups." This is groupware.
5 (perl and cgi.pm; doesn't need database)
5
2 (files dated May 8, 2001; no link to dev. site.)
4
4
3 ahead of the curve?
5
4
4
36
App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Claroline
yes
no
Move to coursebuilders.
5
5
5
4
5
5
5
5
5
44
App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Classweb
yes
no
Course builder
5
5
4 (9/2002)
5
4(university)
4
4
4
4
39
App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Projectforum
yes
no
course builder shareware - SOURCE IS CLOSED
1
1
4
3
3
3
3
5
3
26
App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
CxIV Internet Discussion System
no
no
course builder
5
5
1(1999)
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Digital Scribe
sortof
no
internet-intranet
yes
yes
4

App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Education Center
no
non
?

App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Educational Content Management

Java servlet and XML, web server: Tomcat 4.0 / Java Web Server 2.0

?
App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Educational Information System
no
no

?

App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
enCore

constructivist course builder

App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Exo
example
no
special symbols plugin

App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
FLE
yes
yes
[...]
GKM
no

Hard to say: general knowledge machine? Not an intranet. More like a course builder?

App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Harvey - can't find it.

App
Demo?
Installed?
Category?
Accessible?
Available?
Developing?
Intuitive?
Applicable?
In-style?
Flexible?
Slick?
Useful?
Total?
Ilias
yes
no
course builder with intranet features
5
5
5
5
5
5
5
5
5
45
ILE
yes
no
course builder
5
5
3(0.1 in 6/02)
5
5
4
5
5
5
42
ICR
yes
no
course builder
5
5
5
5
5
5
5
5
5
45

Observations
Anecdotal Student Progress System - Immediately useful, but not pretty.
ATutor -
Flexible; perhaps the interface is too cluttered. Not sure its tools' uses are immediately applicable. Perhaps too general.
AUC -
This is a strong app, and hasn't really been matched, but as no one has taken up its development in over a year, it cannot currently be recommended.
Campus- Good idea, but never realeased any files; already two years old.
Cellarius -
Looks very strong. v.2.5. Intuitive, but you have the sense that you're seeing parts without reference to the whole. I was thinking, I get it, but where am I, and where's the rest/everyone else? "Show level is javascript popup window --it's not right there in your face.