Re: [seul-edu] ISO Phase 3

Chris,

> At risk of starting a distro war, you've only included one "consumer"
> level distro.

I tend to agree although I work for a company that is making an "OEM
Distribution" based on Debian where most of the end users will be
students. I've chosen Debian because:

 * it has the most mature "apt" and packaging systems
 * it doesn't tie end users to a commercial entity
   - which like Mandrake can go belly up very fast
 * its social policy protects our company from accidentally selling a
   distribution that has licencing issues
 * its stringent policy manual guarantees that an upgrade is unlikely to
   pull the carpet out under our feet and break the system

> Anyone who's going to use this ISO in schools is going
> to have to use a "brand-name" distro to help make the case (at least
> in the UK).

Or alternatively an OEM might be willing to put the case for another
distribution, for example Debian or Progeny or....

> The target are newbies, and they are most
> likely to buy a distro from Amazon or their local computer store:
> Redhat, SuSE, Mandrake are the ones seen here.

Actually, having just come back from the recent Linux Conference in
Australia, most of the people who put Linux into schools are already
Linux enthusiasts and can make the case for any distribution they care
for...

DSL

--
I am big, it's the pictures that got small!
 (Norma Desmond, Sunset Boulevard)