Re: [seul-edu] good Live CD for 5-8 year old school students

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 10:28, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Harry McGregor wrote:
>
> > > I am looking for a specification webpage that lists all the software
> > > possibly provides the menus and customizations for it. Does anyone know
> > > where this CD is documented?
> >
> > Not much if the CD is documented.
> >
> > Most of the packages on it can be seen by the command "dpkg -l"
>
> I understand that. And that is what I will probably start with.
>
> I am hoping to have something ahead of time so when the next release is
> planned that I know what it will include earlier.

We are working on planning a new release.  We are debating interface
issues, and are thinking of actually using KDM or GDM with multiple
users.

We want the CD to be a demonstration CD for schools, administrators and
parents.

> > > I liked the CD and now I want to make a meta-package for NetBSD pkgsrc so
> > > someone can do "pkg_add osef-kids" (or whatever the package will be
> > > called) and it will install all the packages from pkgsrc (if they are
> > > already there) and set up menus the same.
> >
> > We are not currently working with anyone in the NetBSD project, though
> > if you have contact you would like us to work with please let me know.
>
> I would be the contact.
>
> Is there a mailing list used for discussing this OSEF/Tux4kids CD project?

Not yet, but their well be one soon.  I will post to the list when we
have that ready.

Right now I am spending most of my free time working on wedding plans
(looks like I am getting married May 23rd).

> One of my goals would to have a consistent interface (same software and
> same menus) but different back end (NetBSD or other instead of just
> Knoppix).

Sounds good.  Another good project to look at is Debian JR.  Ben
Armstrong, the debian JR project lead is also part of the OSEF board of
directors.

			Harry

>    Jeremy C. Reed
>    http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

Harry McGregor, CEO, Co-Founder
Hmcgregor@osef.org, (520) 661-7875 (CELL)
Open Source Education Foundation, http://www.osef.org
A non-profit tax exempt charitable organization