Re: EDUML v0.7

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Bruno Vernier wrote:

>The latest specs for EDUML (currently v0.7) are now permanently available

Hi Bruno,

As I'm trying to update (and correct) the DTD for eduml, I came across
a couple of things:

1)  First, greatly improved locale handling!  I was wondering what you
thought of this idea for handling locales, though:
<word orig="school" tranlang="fr" tranword="ecole">
This would be a lot easier from a DTD standpoint.

2)  There are a lot of repeated tags that have different attributes,
and even different types of function.  For example, the 'plo' tag both
contains a plo, name, alias, and act, and is empty (this is in the
assessment section).  'group' gets used in multiple ways, as does
'category'.

The problem with this is the DTD only allows for one definition of
group.  I'm trying to fit all those different behaviors into one
definition, and having trouble doing so.  Any chance we could change
some of those tagnames.

3)  I found a validating XML/SGML parser (James Clark's nsgmls) and it
doesn't like underscores in tag names.  I don't think it has a problem
with - though.  My book is silent on the matter.

Other than that, I think v0.7 is great.  The updated library section
is pretty cool.  Please keep up the good work.

Dan