Re: GnomeGradeBook... (and EDUML?)

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, thi wrote:

>Bruno Vernier writes:
>
> > EDUML v0.8 has a <contact> element which includes <snail> (which can
> > be renamed <address>) I chose snail because it rhymes with email and
> > because I always confuse the french "adresse" with the english
> > "address".  what do you think?

I do not follow the disscussion very closely, but I think
there is a solution which will suit all:

1) structured address (country, region, city, street/avenue/...
   - probably tags could be in French as it is tradition for
     the international postal service.
2) address format, which could be specified when the product will
   be localised

Something like this (example is for Russia):

<addressformat>
  <street> <avenue> <buildingnumber> <housenumber> <flatnumber><p>
</addressformat>

(please, note some tags will represent empty strings!)

3) raw adress - this will override 1 and 2 and will be helpful
for handling exceptions:

<rawaddress>
To whom: Santa Claus<p>
To where: Finland
</rawaddress>

*

Even just (1) and (3) will do, but having  (2)  will  eliminate
the need  to  specify  the  (3)  in  most  cases  by  providing
preformatting of structured data.

Only this way can guarantee everybody will be  happy  with  the
address-specifying dialog, because there is  always  a  "manual
override".

Sincerely yours,
Roman A. Suzi

 -- Petrozavodsk -- Karelia -- Russia --