Re: X on Windows (was Re: Introduction)

On Tue, 19 Jan 1999, Kevin Turner wrote:
> Another tool you can use is VNC.
[SNIP!]
>  It's sharable, so you can have your students hook up viewers to the
>   instructors machine and watch what he's doing...

Only, be prepared for network overload once you pull out those
graphic-intensive apps.  VNC is raster-based; that means a 640x480 window
gets sent across 640x480!  AFAIK, there's no compression :(

If you export X11 using ssh, you'll have the advantage of data compression
(as well as encryption).  However, I've never got ssh X11 forwarding to
work while going in from a Windows box before.

It might be possible to set up a secure ssh channel between a UNIX and
Windows box given the right Windows ssh client.

Then maybe if we can redirect the ports that VNC uses so that it uses the
ssh channel, we just *might* be able to reduce the load on the network and
get a performance increase... :P

> It's fun stuff :)

It sure is :)

---