Re: Teacher Package

Hey,
    I know what your saying.  My mind was wandering.  It is in my
opinion a lot overkill.  I do like the idea of a cd though.  It is a lot
easier to have everything on a cd, and then run one script and it'll
install everything. Like a companion cd...or dredd  I say it but
similiar to Microsoft Plus.  I like rpms.  They are really easy to use.
The only thing that upsets me with rpms is people like to program in the
latest greatest library.  Like GTK 1.1.13.  But you can't find rpm for
it.  You have to go download it and compile. (gtk 1.1.13 is developers
version, they should write in 1.0.6 or wait for 1.2.).  I think if we
were to create a cd or online repository for educational software.  It
might be easier if we wrote a small app that installed everything...or
even to the extent as being a running daemon and updates the software
for you.
    The only problem I see about a teacher downloading and installing
rpms manually is despite the rpm system is nice.  There are still many
ways of messing up your system with it.  God knows how many times it let
me upgrade something and then broke dependencies.
                    Brad burnside
sorry about the distro thing...I was getting a little overzealous. or
maybe a lot.