Re: Teacher Package

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Barret Dolph wrote:

  [NON-Text Body part not included]

(oh... it was HTML...)

Well, I am NOT  AGAINST  a  special  educational  CDROM,  I  am
against a special distro. A well-thought set of  software  will
do!

More than that, I think the first thing it must contain is  the
Linux-Basics   course,   available   in   many   languages   as
web-pages...

And of course the second CD must contain  a  source  (it's  bad
idea to distribute OpenSource products without source :-)

And I  also  think,  that  each  package  on  the  CD  must  be
accompanied with an URL to the place where RPM, DEB and  TAR.GZ
could be found + annotations.

It's a lot of job! And I think SEUL-EDU is at the beginning  of
it by collecting edu URLs.

The good side of Linux in edu is that one can  gather  as  many
freeware as one wants. So putting everything together has  only
one problem: annotation! Everything must  be  annotated  or  it
will be a pile of scrap...

And probably everything (on the master packager site)  must  be
made in tar.gz with RHL and SuSE rpms accompaniyng. This way it
will be easier to produce differently geared packages...

Good project for someone accurate and with packager skills :-)

Let stress again. Annotation is _very_ important. This is  what
is often underestimated.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
Russia * Karelia * Petrozavodsk
Sunday, January 24, 1999 * Powered by Linux RedHat 5.1