Re: When a modem is not a modem

</LURK>
About winmodems:

Winmodems are basically a way of making a modem without a DSP, letting the
computer's CPU handle all the functions the modem's DSP would normally
handle. Needless to say, this is horribly inefficient, requires drivers,
and has CPU overhead.

<SOAPBOX>
I think WinModems are a waste of time, even on WinBoxes. Windows needs all
the CPU it can get, without having some minor piece of hardware sucking up
15-25% of it in the name of saving 20 bucks. Additionally, most PCI modems
are WinModems. PCI modems are also a waste of a slot. Yes, I realize that
ISA is on its way out. Thank God, and good riddance. But it seems
completely pointless to put something with a max throughput of 115Kbps in
a slot designed to handle almost 1000 times that. That is why they put
those 2 little serial ports on the back of the machine. Have you ever
noticed how seldom they are used? I think it's time for the external modem
to make a comeback because a)it has really cool blinky lights that look
neat when you're spodding in the dark :), and b) you don't have to down
the machine if you want to remove it or move it to another box.
</SOAPBOX>

On the subject of dialup, I suspect many of you have upgraded to the
newest kernel, 2.2.x, and found that your ipfwadm scripts for firewalling
and masquerading have ceased to function.

<PLUG>
Being the early adopter sort, I was using ipchains fairly early on in the
2.1.1xx kernels, and developed a firewalling/masquerading script that
gives you nice, tight firewalling, handles masquerading, and is generally
pretty useful. I have made it available to the public, and it can be found
either on freshmeat (rc.firewall), or at my website for it, at
http://nerdherd.net/ipchains.
</PLUG>

<LURK>

-Ian