Re: [seul-edu] SIF's Zone Integration Server(

On Wed, 05 Jan 2000, Eric Sandeen wrote:

> One of the features of their system is a "Zone Integration Server" (ZIS)
> which manages messages and requests to and from the various
> SIF-compatible clients attached to it (gradebooks, rosters, report card
> programs, etc.)

So it's some sort of central XML database?  Or a front end to MSSQL or Access
or something?

> The interesting thing is that the C++ source is available, and the
> license is actually fairly liberal.  Liberal enough, I think, that a
> port to Linux would be within the terms of the license.
> (http://www.microsoft.com/education/partneropp/eula.asp)
>
> I'll admit right now that I don't have the necessary programming chops,
> but I'm wondering how hard it would be to port this to a Linux/MySQL
> environment - that'd be a heck of a press release for the SEUL-Edu
> group.

I'll try to take a look at it and see if Stephen Quam (one of our members who's
pretty good at database work) would like to consider the challenge.  It'd
certainly twist Micros~1's nose if we did it!

--
Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@suscom.net     those in authority off their guard and give