[seul-edu] RFC: Contest to create Science Image/Animation database

RFC (Request For Comments): On a OpenSource style Image Database for Education.
The original specific focus is planned to be on Science Images and Animations>
(that could be expanded to general education).  This would be similar to
Matthias Warkus' project for GNOME Icons.
	http://gnome-icons.sourceforge.net/
   or the contests like GIMP holds:
	http://contest.gimp.org/

I am thinking about also maintaining the site at 'sourceforge' to simplify
administration, changes, requests.

Feel free to pass this on to anyone you think would be interested or
would have ideas.

I would appreciate advice on:
	1. Licenses - http://www.opensource.org/licenses/
	   For a graphic - would there be a license or copyleft
	   So that others could modify, but still give credit to
	     the originator (at least at the centeral site).
	2. Formats - png - for graphics
		   - ??? - animations? - gif is not open
	3. Rules - any?
		* Sizes of images - depend on what is shown
		  (made for the WWW and applications)
		* Accuracy
		* Quality
	 	* resizable
	4. Judging the images (Combined to make decision):
              Usable (due to size/load times) required then:
		* Accuracy
		* Quality
		* Aethetics
	5. Prizes (Say a budget of $2500).
		* Recognition (no prizes)
		* Should we have a lot of smaller prizes.
		* 1 big prize and some moderate prizes.
		* Save prizes for actual educational interactive
	          program or WWW sites.
		If you think prize are good, please state what
		prizes would be good/appropriate.

	6. Start and ending dates for the startup.
	     Start Feb. 15, End Apr 15th.  (I did not want to go
	     until May due to school).  Then perhaps hold yearly
	     contests.

   Example software packages (ideas):
	Gimp - http://www.gimp.org/
	Blender - http://www.blender.nl/ - 3D and animations
	BMRT - http://www.bmrt.org/
	Moonlight3D - http://moonlight3D.org/
	Pixcon/Anitroll - http://www.radix.net/~dunbar/index.html
	Sceda - http://www.cyberus.ca/~denism/sceda/sceda.html
	POVRAY - http://www.povray.org/
     (Feel free to comment on packages or recommend other packages)

Of course I am willing to work with any group (like Gimp/Gnome) to
get a more wide spread project going.

Mark
--
Mark Dalton       CH3-S-CH2 H                      H      O       H
Cray Research (SGI)     |   |                      |       \      |