[seul-edu] Other Linux education applications

A link relating to the USA.. to improve Math and Science Education:
	http://www.house.gov/science/education.htm

I am not sure if I mentioned something I was involved in 4-5 years ago it
was what we called 'BioMOO', it went along with some of our on-line courses.
	http://bioinformatics.weizmann.ac.il/BioMOO/
	 - A biologists virtual meeting place
	 - basically turning a MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) into a educational
	   tool.

I bring up the MS Access issue, just because I am learning the MS products
schools are using, as Bill also pointed out.  The local schoool here in Minnesota
(USA) uses MS Access and File Maker Pro.

 Potential use of PostgreSQL ODBC with MS Access:
   http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc/
   http://rak.isternet.sk/asc/pub/linux/postgresql/odbc/psqlodbc_faq.html#accesswhere
   http://rak.isternet.sk/asc/pub/linux/postgresql/odbc/psqlodbc_confighelp.html
     Also MySQL ODBC is available and should allow communication.
     In the next few months I will be learning what they need to convert
     from MS Access to a standard database at the local School District.
     They are going to have me install linux on a few machines soon.

Here are a few applications or projects that maybe of interest.

A GUI tool for use with SQL databases:
	http://gtksql.sourceforge.net/

Linux Letters and Numbers:
   A clone of "Larry's Learning Letters and Numbers" for young children:
	http://www.netidea.com/~captain/lln/

LearnLoop: Web Based Collaborative Learning 'groupware':
	http://www.learnloop.org/

OpenClassroom:  OpenSource Education - perhaps a group we could
   work with/cross-link, etc.
	http://www.openclassroom.org/
	- They have a server available also.

ZSchool (Zope):
        http://zschool.org/about/other_projects

From SourceForge.net:
GMatH - Gnome Interface to Numerical Python
	http://gmath.sourceforge.net/

Numerical Python Project:
	http://numpy.sourceforge.net/

Python for Science and Engineering: This project provides the Numerical Python
    user with modules (written in both Python and compiled languages) that
    make an interactive Python session into a powerful multidimensional-
    array-processing environment.
	http://oliphant.netpedia.net/

Rlab: Rlab is an interactive, interpreted scientific programming environment.
	http://rlab.sourceforge.net/

Number Cruncher: Pattern recognition software package. It includes several
    classification and clustering algorithms. It can read data
    from a set of images, an ASCII file or a JDBC connection.
	http://teleline.terra.es/personal/berzal/

Hitchhiker 2000: Astronomical simulation and visualization program:
	http://hirame.hiram.edu/~worleyam/

Queesio - Flowcharting software (QT based)
	http://queesio.sourceforge.net/

Piddle: Plug-In Drawing for two-dimensional graphics.
	http://piddle.sourceforge.net/

Sketch: a vector drawing program. It's written almost completely in
        python for flexibilty with some modules written in C for speed.
        Current work is to port it into GTK from Tk.
	http://sketch.sourceforge.net/

Qcad - CAD program for Linux (QT based)
	http://qcad.sourceforge.net/index.php3

Innovation3D: 3D modelling program.
	http://Innovation3D.sourceforge.net/

VHCLMAPS - Vehicle Simulation server - 2d/3d map viewer clients and vehicle
    simulation server.  It seems to be at the early stages, but may be interesting
    way to view a map as if you were there.
	http://www.vectaport.com/vhclmaps/

Eartraining: The start of a eartraining program for music theory and performance.
    (Still in development, but is starting point).
	http://solfege.sourceforge.net/

Mark
--
Mark Dalton       CH3-S-CH2 H                      H      O       H
Cray Research (SGI)     |   |                      |       \      |