Re: [seul-edu] SIF and EduML revisited

Bruno Vernier wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 08:02:51AM -0600, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>
> > I was thinking about this last night, and came up with this:
> > It seems that SIF's XML system is designed more for _network_ data
> > transmission (changes and updates are communicated over the network in
> > XML snippets), independent of the actual data file format each
> > application uses, which may actually be a closed spec.  The only
> > requirement is that an "agent" is available to handle the XML queries
> > from the network.
>
> Yes, I agree.  SIF website suggests ZIF (ms win32 source available) as an
> agent.  Someone on the list mentioned the CASBAH project (which is similar
> to Frontier) as another possibility, and I think Zope could do the job as
> well.  That is the beauty of XML; it does not matter what handles the XML.
> What matters is that all programs speak the same XML (and if not, at least
> some sort of XML so that it can be relatively easily converted)

In looking at the SIF diagram it seems clear that the agent is where the
SIF XML knowledge is located rather than in the individual
applications.  The agent is a wrapper around the program.  I don't see
why we couldn't a) write an agent for an EduML-data-format app so that
it could use a SIF backend, or b) write agents for various apps for
which SIF agents exist which would convert their data formats to EduML
rather than to SIF.  It would be a nice trick to take an installation
that was intended to run against some Microsoft SIF backend server and
easily convert it to run against a Linux-based EduML system over (for
example) Casbah.