Re: [seul-edu] X-Terminal app server specs

Chris Hedemark wrote:

> I've built some app servers.  What kind of apps are you running and how
> intensively do you anticipate having them used?

That's kind of up in the air at the moment.  The lab will be in a local
community center.  I figure they'll need some internet capability (a web
browser; perhaps a graphical FTP client, IRC, and maybe USENET) and standard
office stuff (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.).  Beyond that, I don't know.
If they want to have an internet presence of their own (web server, etc.), I'll
recommend another system for that.

I went here: http://www.affordablecomputers.com/custombuilds/aci_linthun and
specified a 700 MHz Duron, 512 MB RAM, a 30.7 GB IDE drive, 2 SMC EZ-Card 10/100
ethernet cards, Mandrake 7.2 and Star Office 5.2 preinstalled, an Onstream 30GB
IDE Digital Internal Tape Drive and media, and an APC surge supressor, for
$1117.  Everything else is the standard selection.  Does that seem reasonable?

--
Doug Loss                 God is a comedian playing
Data Network Coordinator  to an audience too afraid