Re: [seul-edu] SEUL/edu wiki test

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 02:30:52PM -0500, Doug Loss wrote:

> I like these thoughts.  But I'm not sure how to use a wiki.  Currently we
> have a mailing list.  Lists are classic "push" technology--messages show up
> in your regular mail box without you having to do anything proactive to see
> them.  Wikis (and web fora generally) are more "pull" technologies--you have
> to actively choose to go to the site to use it.  I'd hate to see the
> vitality of SEUL/edu split between those who only use the mailing list and
> those who only use the wiki.  I think we need to figure out how these two
> communication tools can best work together before we put up a wiki
> officially.
>
> I guess I'm echoing LP's idea of using a wiki for rapid development of
> documents.  Any other good possibilities?

some random notes:

- wikis, like mailing lists, have a specific tradition, etiquette, culture;
  which emerges with persistent use

- wikis and mailing lists occupy different niches and I have yet to see one
  step on the other's toes... (the sandbox area notwithstanding)

  zope.org has a big wiki area and a big mailing list volume ... each used
  for different purposes though they reference each other continuously.

- wikis are significantly different from "regular" webpages because they are
  updatable on the fly by all who pass by and read them (if authorized of
  course) ... AND there is a tradition of trust in the wikiwikiweb world that I
  like very much (while still worrying about general security of course) ...

Bruno