Re: [seul-edu] [Fwd: thoughts on teaching programming]

As a self-taught programming hobbyist, I agree entirely with the "simple
syntax, interpreted language" approach to teaching beginning programming.
Additional features of the approach that worked for me (starting from zero
programming knowledge) include lots of emphasis on building GUIs, on use of
the interpreter in interactive mode for instant results and quick
modification of rudimentary code, and on creating programs that the student
(in my case, me) will actually want to use. ("Hello, world" isn't one of
them, but the sample Tk button widget that displays "Hello, world" can easily
be modified to execute a program with a single click, which is something I do
want to do.) I picked Tcl/Tk as my first (and, at least so far, my only)
programming language; it seems to be pretty good for these purposes. (This is
*not* intended as an invitation to dispute about whether Tcl/Tk is better for
these purposes than Python--in case anybody was wondering!)

Dave "Pa" McClamrock

[This e-mail message was written with WISH Supernotepad 0.8.1, a text and
HTML editor written by me, based on Tk NotePad 0.5 by Joseph Acosta. In some
future week or month when I get a little more time for programming, version
0.9.0 will be written and released to the world, though not accompanied by an
explicit "Hello, world" message.]