Re: [seul-edu] Curricula

On Friday 11 January 2002 08:14, you wrote:
> Bill wrote:
> > Has anyone developed a syllabus for teaching open source APPS? I
> > am looking to create one for grade 9-12 (American system). This
> > would be students from about age 14 - 18.
>
> I'm not following.  Are you talking about teaching how to use
> specific programs, or using open source software to teach other
> subjects?

I am focused on using open sourced software to teach the topics
usually taught using closed source software. Use of word processors,
spreadsheets, graphics programs, the internet and so on.

> On this page <http://eduwiki.seul.org:8080/wiki/edu/Lesson_Plans>
> we listed a bunch of sites that have lesson plans for various
> subjects.  I don't think many if any of them are specific to open
> source apps, but they may be adaptable.

One page linked to by your link is
http://www.teachers.net/lessons/posts/2233.html

This lesson plan could be adapted by changing the url given in the
lesson away from msn.com (not reliably available to open source
browsers) to google.com.

This is the sort of info I am looking for.

Thanks for the starting point. Our goal is to be able to approach
schools with a canned curriculum. We may begin by teaching adult
education classes ourselves while we tailor the material for
progressively younger age groups.

Bill
Mem:   1545352    1265968     279384          0     185652     775808
Swap:   401584       1932     399652
Total: 1946936    1267900     679036
Linux a.genesis.com 2.4.14 #3 Fri Nov 9 23:14:31 EST 2001 K7 750MHz
 11:08amup 22 days,  9:11,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.05