RE: [seul-edu] Schoolforge.net coverage in Singapore's Business Times

  -----Original Message-----
  From: William Abernathy
  To: seul-edu@seul.org
  Sent: 1/14/02 11:26 AM
  Subject: Re: [seul-edu] Schoolforge.net coverage in Singapore's Business
Times

  Doug Loss wrote:

  >> This was very nice!  People, this is how I hope things will go for
  many of
  >> us.  Harish sent the press release to the Business Times himself, with
  his
  >> name as a local contact.  I'm very happy to see that they contacted
  him for
  >> a local take on the announcement rather than calling Harry, David, or
  me.  I
  > think everyone on this list ought to do the same.  Even if your local
  >> newspaper, radio, and television outlets are small, it wouldn't hurt
  >> contact them with the announcement (with the date suitably changed so
  that
  >> it doesn't seem that we're just getting around to them after a week,
  even
  >> though we are :-) ).

  > While I concur with Doug's praise for Harish (way ta go!) and recommend
  > that you all follow his lead, I must counsel against one practice Doug
mentions.
  > DO NOT CHANGE THE DATE on the press release.

  Newspapers used to have what's called a 'City Desk' - do they still have
them?
  That's usually just a box that people can drop off stories in. You would
  usually put your name and a phone number on a cover sheet the paper
provides and
  drop the press in the 'City Desk' box. There's no real need to contact a
  reporter. A reporter might call if they have additional questions.

  Also, most radio stations have a form for free Public Service
  Announcements - if the announcement was abbreviated to just a
  paragraph or so, the Schoolforge announcement might qualify as a PSA?

  Just a thought.

  lp