[seul-edu] Re: Hello

> Hi Mortis,
>             I have seen the Gflash software which you have coded. It’s quite
> simple and practical in concept, could you kindly recommend any particular
> software which you know might be suitable to be used on Linux in an
> educational environment with the following requirements in mind without any
> particular order of priority :

There are a few gropus dedicated to promoting Educational software on
Linux.  SEUL's Education group:

  http://www.seul.org/edu/

Has a great mailing list where people discuss exactly these kinds of topics.
SEUL/Edu also has an applicaiton list.

There are other places to look for Linux software.  Freshmeat.net is a
great place that lists thasounds of software packages:

  http://www.freshmeat.net/

> -                      Classroom of up to 40 students and a teacher station
> -                      Teacher to be able to see exactly what each student
> is doing on his/her PC without interference ie. View like Pcanywhere
> -                      Teacher to be able to remotely control the student’s
> PC like PC Anywhere

I beleive there is a project, called VNC which may do what you're asking.
I've never used it, but it has some of features you're asking for:

  http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

> -                      Teacher to be able to conduct pop quiz to the
> students a-la GFlash

There are other programs like GFlash that have different and more advanced
features.  SEUL/Edu lists a few:

   http://richtech.ca/cgi-bin/seul/seulview.pl?category=Quiz

> -                      Teacher to be able  to send file/chat with the
> students similarly to yahoo/Microsoft messenger

There are several Open Source messager clients (and servers) that are
available.  Freshmeat.net lists several:

  http://freshmeat.net/browse/22/

Gaim and Jabber are two that I know are popular:

  http://freshmeat.net/projects/gaim/
  http://freshmeat.net/projects/jabber/

> -                      Teacher should be able to send/get files from each
> student’s individual workstation

You should be able to accomplish this with standard tools, like ftp, scp,
or you could use a technology like nfs or Samba to mount drives from the
workstations.

Best Regards,
Kyle R. Burton

Wisdom and Compassion are inseparable.