Re: A renewed request

Hello!

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Doug Loss wrote:

>I sent this message out to the mailing list over a month ago:
>
>Roger Dingledine wrote:
>>
>> This gives me an idea -- why don't we set up a table, with proprietary
>> software that schools typically use on one side, and free alternatives
>> (the more the merrier, plus pages describing how to configure them well)
>> on the other side.
>
>> We're not going to be able to make this list without the help of the people
>> who are actually *in* the schools using the software, so they can list
>> real programs that we should list alternatives for.
>>
>> We should actually get some resources out there and useful to schools,
>> else we're just going to stay a discussion list.
>>
>Roger's exactly right on this.  This is a great idea and I'd like to ask
>_all_ educators on this mailing list to write up lists of the software
>their schools are using.  Please list the name of the software, the
>publisher, its general type (word processor, drill-and-practice
>arithmetic, etc.), the environment it's used in (MacOS, Windows),
>whether it's installed locally (on every machine) or run from the
>network, and what its grade-level applicability is.  If there are lesson

Doug, probably more exact form will simplify the process
of gathering such data. My suggestion for a blank:

Name:                (name and release)
Vendor:              (publisher)
Type:
Ages:                (grades are different everywhere, ages are universal)
OS:
Networking:          (need for network, type of it)
Purpose:             (what this software is used for)

*

Working examples:

Name: ClarisWorks 2.1
Vendor: Claris
Type: office
Ages: all
OS: MacOS 7.5
Networking: no
Purpose: general

Name: KidPix
Vendor: ?
Type: graph. editor
Ages: 6-12
OS: MacOS 7.5
Networking: no
Purpose: mouse skills, fun

Name: Bolo
Vendor: ?
Type: game
Ages: 14-
OS: MacOS 7.5
Networking: AppleTalk
Purpose: fun

*

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
Russia * Karelia * Petrozavodsk * rnd@rsuzi.pgu.karelia.ru
* Friday, July 02, 1999 * Powered by Linux RedHat 5.1