Re: Ok, http://gperiodic.seul.org exists

jim@mercury.laney.edu wrote:

> Hi Kyle,
>

> > Date:    Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:46:44 EDT
> > To:      seul-edu@seul.org
> > From:    Kyle Burton <mortis@voicenet.com>
> > Subject: Re: Ok, http://gperiodic.seul.org exists
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to help automate the process of packaging the
> > software?  What I mean is -- every time the software changes, a new package
> > would need to be built, right?  Is there anything I can do/write/chagne
> > in the source tree that will help automate the process? (or completely
> > automate the process?)
>
> Actually, yes. There are two things you can do:
>  1) help me with the install target :)
>  2) write a man page (I have a sample if you dont know nroff; makes it easy)

Man pages are not teacher or student friendly. Produce a good HTML manual which
covers the programs features - as one usually does. Then add sections covering
the programs usage in the classroom - Lesson ideas etc.

Remember that teachers are not computing experts and therefore more often than
not require education on how to implement a software package effectively.

I think this goes for all software that SEUL is involved in as well. You need to
get your projects up to a commercial standard for them to be useful and for
people in the world to sit up and notice your work.

Roman.