Re: A renewed request

Malonowa wrote:

> So if you had a backend, you could use Java to produce graphs and such things to
> identify weaknesses in the worlds current educational IT policy. Then you could
> start projects which had more meaning than "copying commerce" and it'd all be more
> newsworthy.

I'm not sure what "copying commerce" means.  If it means finding or
building Linux alternatives to current educational software, then that's
just what we're looking to do.  Trying to convince schools that they
aren't using their computers correctly seems to me to not be a very good
technique to get them to try Linux.  Catering to their expressed needs
and desires seems more likely to be successful.

> That said, the good usage of IT in schools is all very well researched and
> documented. You just need to know where to go to get the info. Remeber that
> probably most teachers in the world don't really know what to do with IT properly
> and are probably using the wrong software anyway.

You've mentioned some English documents to that effect.  Could you find
that info for us?  Here in the US, states (and in some states,
individual school districts) have the responsibility for determining
their curriculum and other requirements, so there probably isn't any
similar comprehensive document.  Not that I know for sure.  Folks, is
there anything analogous in France, Germany, Sweden, Taiwan, etc.?  What
is the Mexican ScholarNet requiring?  Even if we can get similar
documents from a variety of countries, they'll still need to be collated
so we can see what types of programs Linux will need to run to be viable
in schools.

--
Doug Loss                 A life spent making mistakes is not only
Data Network Coordinator  more honorable, but more useful than a