Re: My ideas may not be compatible with yours but...

Doug Loss wrote:

> That's a good point.  Tim Wilson, we talked a _long_ time ago about a gradebook
> definition.  Along with that, we have a library catalog and a seeting planner
> on our ToDo list.  If we could get good definitions of what these programs
> should do, how the information should be entered and presented to the user, and
> what additional features beyond the required base would be desirable, it might
> be quite a bit easier to get something started.  We already have two nascent
> gradebook programs (don't we, Justin and Bradley?); I'm sure they could do with
> such a definition.  Tim, could you work on such a definition for gradebooks?
> It'd be nice to put a "finished" on one of our projects.  Others, could someone
> step up and commit to developing definitions for a library catalog and a
> seating planner?

Doug, I just retrieved this from the archives
http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/May-1999/msg00142.html.
Tim Wilson wrote:
> Hi everyone,

> Please excuse the large forwarded message, but I thought this was probably
> the easiest way to reintroduce new subscribers to the brief discussion
> that took place last December. The comments below are from Eric Sandeen
> with some additions from me. We were discussing features that we felt
> would necessary in a good electronic gradebook progam.

> I'd be happy to hear comments from others on the list about this topic. I
> realize that many of the developers are not themselves teachers. Good
> communication will be crucial to developing a gradebook program that will
> finally accomplish "world domination." :-)

> I will put together an html version of what results over the next few
> days. I've got a web server, but our sys admin is having DNS trouble so
> it's not always reachable. Doug, perhaps SEUL could host it.

> Later,
> Tim

We have a Project List and a Gradebook Definition Project. But there things end. The
Gradebook Definition Project does not link to what's been done. I remembered that Tim
had asked if Seul could host it but I am not aware of a response. Here is where I think
there is the potential to produce an order of magnitude improvement. Currently a lot of
information just ends up in the archives, whereas it would be far more valuable
connected to projects. I have offered to work on trying to collect it. However two
pieces are missing. The information would need to be put into HTML and put on the web
site. Concerning the HTML there was an offer
http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/pub/May-1999/msg00021.html to which I am not aware
that anyone responded.
> I am interested in helping out. I teach college algebra and business
> calculus and incorporate computers, internet, and html with course
> format.  I do know html, computers in general (cross platform
> expertise), help files, documentation, graphics. Can learn gimp b/c know
> photoshop et al. I cannot say exactly how much time I can spend without
> knowing what's involved. If you have items that students could work on
> and/or compact projects (ones that have an end) please send more info.
> bakelly@earthlink.net
I suspect similar situations exist with respect to other projects. For example, Bill
Tihen's Educational HOWTOs is on the Project List but disconnected from the information
in the archives. If we don't have anyone to carry out the final steps, we have Bill
Ries-Knight's LENPP project to find them. I hope this helps in trying to focus on
something useful that can easily be done.

Bob