Re: Having problems with NIS

Robert Hopcroft wrote:

> Daniel Glenn asked:
>
> > Here at White Horse we had some local college students setup our LINUX
>
> > network. They've gone home for the summer, so we're doing things on
> our
> > own. I've spent some time trying to find out how to addusers that can
> be
> > accessed across the whole network, but have been unable to do so.
>
> > We are running RedHat 6.0. I know everything is working, I can log
> into
> > my account from anywhere on the network. But I cannot figure out how
> > add a new user. Where is the file that I modify for this? What do I
> put
> > in? I found the passwd file that linuxconf adds to, but I can't find
> the
> > file that NIS wants.

OK.

To get info. on adding users type 'man adduser'

on my redhat systems the paths aren't set properly - it would seem that
Redhat puts configuration files all over the place - never where the books
say they are!

If you type adduser and it says file not found then type /usr/sbin/adduser

Why do you need the file for NIS. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone but doesn't
this only hold info. on the host name and IP address. I'm no networking
expert though.

You should be able to do whatever you need to do using linuxconf though.

Roman.