Re: My ideas may not be compatible with yours but...

Doug Loss wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jul 1999 15:52:29 +0200, Malonowa <malonowa@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> >
> > For instance, if you think that I have valid points then can't I get together with
> > like-minded people with our own webspace and way of doing things? I think that could
> > produce interesting things that all parties could observe. Everyone should be happy with
> > that. I sent you a brief idea of what I think I could do within your framework - couldn't
> > this be a subset of what you're doing? It wouldn't harm the others but could there could
> > be valuable lessons to learn from that on both sides - especially mine in fact.
> >
> I think that's quite a good idea.  Roger Dingledine is the fellow who parcels
> out web, ftp, etc. space in the SEUL domain, and I know he follows this mailing
> list.  Roger, would you see how what Roman has in mind fits with SEUL's
> guidelines?  If there's any trouble hosting such a site here (and I'm not
> saying there is), we'll certainly help find space somewhere and will definitely
> link to it.

My suggestion here is that seul-edu's the best place to have this sort of thing. We do have our
own server space in England to use. The problem with that is that it could get expensive - each
meg costs bucks. I sent a mail to Roger but he hasn't replied - maybe I've upset him too.
Sorry.

> > And lastly, off the subject, is there anyone here that really knows their stuff with
> > regards to Logo? If yes, let's talk logo and empowering teachers and students to create
> > their own educational software....
> >
> Yes, I think there are a few folks here who know Logo.  Although Miguel
> Sepulveda isn't still on the list, he also seems quite knowledgeable.  He's
> listed as the leader of 3D Logo on our projects page; you may want to contact
> him.

Thanks for this and if anyone else is interested in oo turtles!

There are so many logo projects going on in the world at the moment - I've spent the afternoon
looking at them. I'll have to make a list of URLS - some are only Mac but they're great ideas
(MIT research Starlogo and Yoyo for example).  There's a good one on Windoze that comes with
source and has GUI commands. And there's JAVA ones - they'd be Linux compatible. I'll have to
download it all and check it out. There's Berkeley logo as well - the interface could do with
some work though.

Now if we took a free windows one that people were using then these windoze users wouldn't have
any excuse for not using Linux - it'd be the same software. I think windows compatibility's an
interesting issue. Schools aren't likely to replace an entire system with Linux so could we try
to gradually migrate users? Doug, perhaps you could start a polite thread on this - I don't
want to create any more controversy here.

On another note, I have an old friend who runs a large internet design company over in England.
They have a History Online service - it costs money to subscribe but it should be compatible
with Linux - Web technology. The content's good for history research in primary school and
above - we did the CD-ROM version. Perhaps people could take a look.

www.actis.co.uk

Another interesting source of information if you want to compile lists of software people are
using. Don't schools have their own websites? And don't the pupils publish what they're doing?
They do in England, what about the states and other countries. Hunting these URLs down could
prove fruitful.

Roman.