Gradebook Definition

Malonowa wrote:

> Could someone explain what a "gradebook project" is. I've never come across
> this concept/terminology - I think it's indigenous to the US.
>
> Roman.

First I looked in the Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, but gradebook is
not in it. I don't know how I'm going to do, but I'll give it a try. There are
several meanings of grade. We want to look at two of them and their
relationship. The first is what year of school. Thus one teaches the students
who are in their first year of schooling or the first grade. To move from one
grade to the next requires some measure of accomplishment and this measure is
called a grade often denoted by A,B,C, etc. This is a different meaning of
grade. Thus we have The year of schooling known as grade and the mark of
measure of achievement of that year of schooling or grade known as grade. It
is the second meaning of grade, the meaning as a mark that we want here. The
mark of achievement or grade is recorded in a book and thus the word
gradebook. Finally a gradebook project is writting a program that keeps the
grades in a computer database. Yes, a glossary of terms on the website is an
excellent idea.

Bob