Re: While of on the subject of ideas for programs.

Greetings everybody,

I am a newbie to this list and enjoy the atmosphere here.
Anyway, I have a few pieces of info to share:

1. There is a huge list of different distributions on
   http://kernelnotes.org/dist-index.html
   Some of them even tout getting you on the internet with 1 floppy.
   I am sure there must be some that more or less fits Mr. Bellville's
   requirement.
2. In the now-MS-dominated market of Taiwan, I usually suggest
   replacing the MS-Word .doc files with .html files, and that leads
   to the natural conclusion of using the open source, cross-platform
   web-publishing program ZOPE. There might be a reason for using
   a real word-processing program for other people. But to me the
   content, not the appearance of a document is of utmost importance,
   and therefore a web-publishing program works well enough. (In
   fact I use vi to create my html files.)I will definitely avoid
   recommending a word-processor especially if an alternative
   word-processor means getting trapped into another proprietary
   file format.
3. I have a few perl programs to do on-line testing (only fill-in-the-
   blanks), announcement of grades (with privacy consideration) and
   for grading (requiring some manual correction). It works best with
   programming courses since one single source file can be used to
   generate the running program, the html form, and the standard answer
   for grading. I am the only person using it up to now, and therefore
   using it still requires a lot of command line operation. Besides,
   the program is ugly and not yet internationalized. I'll rewrite
   it using perl/tk when I have time and would be glad to GPL it.

Chao-Kuei Hung
http://www.cyut.edu.tw/~ckhung (Sorry, no English yet)

ps. If you wonder, I am teaching programming at a University. That's
   why I am both a teacher and a programmer. But I haven't had time
   to write real programs for a long while...