Re: intranets

At 14:11 7/5/99 +0200, you wrote:

>So does this say what programs the kids are using? Someone here's compiling a
>list of alternatives and would like to know what programs are being used out
>there right now on Windoze/mac.

At the moment not too much info is on the apps the kids are using, just
their projects, many of which are Internet related. Check out this URL for
an example:

http://www.millbury.k12.ma.us/~shaw/intranet/studproj.html

>Word will export HTML then you can have an interface to publish this data.

True but it is much easier for the busy admin to simply save a copy of the
document over to the Web directory (yes, we use Samba!) than it is to
convert it. Some of the documents are actually forms and this would get
lost in the conversion. Besides, like I mentioned we all use MSWord 97
internally so it is a standard.

>Well I think that my idea is to have an intranet pack of useful resources for
>the Linux server. Then all the machines on a network will be able to
access it
>regardless of their OS.
>
>I think at this stage ideas are most important so if there's not enough
time to
>actually add additonal projects maybe some ideas for projects could come
up in
>conversation whilst in the staff room and then end up here!

Roman, I didn't catch the info about what you are actually doing. I saw a
reference to the fact that you were in the educational software field?

- Rob

 Rob Bellville                              PO Box 515
 rob@acol.com                       Millbury, MA 01527