Re: While of on the subject of ideas for programs.

Rob, I just read your article in the Linux Journal Online. For anyone
interested it's at http://www.linuxjournal.com/issue62. A number of the issues
you are interested in have been discussed on the ComputerBank mailing-list.
SEUL maintains the archives at http://www.seul.org/archives/computerbank.
ComputerBank computerbank@lists.linux.org.au
is an organization in Australia run by Kylie Davies beckster@warehouse.net
that collects old computers, installs Linux and distributes them to people who
cannot afford a computer. They face many of the same problems you do. The
people there have learned to make do with a lot less and are very good at it.
I just picked the following out of the archives "Small X windows systems"
http://www.seul.org/archives/computerbank/Jun-1999/msg00010.html. Following
the links down, I came across the following where apparently somebody was able
to run X off a floppy.

 >  Using the methods above, I was able to place MacX 1.0 on a single floppy
disk for my Mac to reach my Linux box. I could even run it off the floppy as
well. Pretty wild, eh?

Bob