Re: compact distributions for old equipment

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep them in mind for the future, but right
> now I want to wait until someone suggests a real set of apps, suitable for
> an actual grade in the sense that Rob wrote about, that I can try. My test,
> plus the link you turned up (and there are a couple of others, too), is
> sufficient proof of principle on the technical side -- now it's time for
> someone to identify actual applications so this idea stays grounded in reality.

The problem is that there are no apps. That's why we're all here!!!!!

> 8bpp is the lowest standard graphics resolution mode. It's what I ran the
> SVGA server in for the test I reported.

Why is 8bpp the lowest standard graphics mode? Could explain that to me please. Are
there likely to be people who can't run 8bpp SVGA?

> While the libraries and such that you've described are familiar to me, I
> haven't heard of Electric Eyes. What is it, and how might I locate it?

This is simply an image viewer. You can get it from www.gnome.org

If you already have gnome installed type ee

I'm setting my machine up with a 4bpp user account right now to see what it's like.

Roman.