Re: Courses

> I think one problem that we all must overcome is that different countries have
> different methods of teaching. For instance, in the US you talk about getting
> students from one achievement to the next and your education system tends to have a
> lot of testing, drill and practice etc. whereas in England we teach through
> exploration.

It should be noted that the US educational system is quite
eclectic.  There are virtually no national curriculums or standards.
Even at the state level it is pretty minimal.  Now, with the advent of
charter schools and other experimental schools (along with private
schools) there is even more diversity.  So it's hard to make any
inclusive generalization.

Generalizations which can be made might not even last very long.
Right now achievement and measurable performance are popular,
at least as rhetoric.  But there is a very good possibility this too will
pass, as many an educational philosophy has.  [At least I hope it
does... IMHO it reeks of the worst kind of behaviorism.  But that's
another issue entirely]

So, when talking about IT in the schools in the US, one has to be
flexible if one wants to be inclusive at all.  For this reason, a
canned distribution could probably only go so far.  Would it allow
email?  Would it expect an Internet connection?  Would it presume
the resources for individual student accounts?  Is the computer
situated in a lab, classroom, or office?  Does the computer direct
activities (as in edutainment), or is it a tool (as with a spreadsheet)?

These are only a few of the questions that probably can only be
answered in the context of each individual implementation.

In the experience I've had in the Bloomington Public Schools
(which is not a great deal), there isn't even much consistency
between schools in the same district at the same grade level.  It
mostly depends on whoever is in charge of the computers at each
particular school.  The technology department doesn't have enough
presence to even make basic standards.  They don't even have the
presence to fix the things that break.  But I shouldn't start on that...

> Kids start using databases, spreadsheets, charting tools, logo, control technology
> at 5 years old but the IT side of this is very much abstracted. This software is
> used in all subjects, data and practice being topic related. It's interesting to
> note here as well that there is extensive use of "Concept Keyboards" and other
> input devices at primary level.

What's a Concept Keyboard?

> I've given a URL a few days ago which describes all of the skill requirements in
> detail for all pupils, at all ages in England. That should help when considering
> that part of the world. I'll try to find out what the requirements are here in
> France.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to get a good feel for what they really do with
computers in England.  The National Curriculum was kind of vague,
as I suppose it has to be if it isn't to become terribly outdated very
quickly.

There were many references to simulations -- what sorts of
simulations do they use, and how are they connected to the larger
curriculum?

--
Ian Bicking <bickiia@earlham.edu>