Re: compact distributions for old equipment

Doug Loss wrote:

> We talked about doing a separate distro for educational uses before.
> With the resources we have, might that not be something we could do a
> proof of concept of and hand off to some other project?  I'd hate to see
> us get stuck in the minutiae of developing, publicizing, and
> distributing a Linux-for-education distro and then have no more useful
> educational apps than we now have.  We talked about having a "bouquet"
> of educational apps in an easy to install package that could be used
> over any Linux distro.  I think this is a good way to go--separating the
> acknowledged need for a small distro that runs well on old, small, slow
> hardware (which isn't just an educational need) from the need for
> educational applications.  Of course, those apps should also run well on
> the small distro, but I don't think we need to get into the distro
> business.  We should probably talk to Kylie Davies
> <beckster@warehouse.net> from the Australian Computerbank project about
> small Linux distros, as that's something that they've been investigating
> for quite some time.

I'm not suggesting that we get into the distro business but I'd like to make sure
that whatever I write will work on these old machines. I'm used to doing it as well
so it's tickling my fancy.

I'm don't intend to concern myself too much with the disc space issue but I will
look at keeping applications small and avoiding problems with colour.

Xchomp works in 4bpp just fine! Now when I was a kid and there was a "Chopper"
machine at the swimming baths, did I spend mother's 30p on the pool - the signs of
a mispent youth.

Roman.