Re: Developer's Tools (was Re: Archives and Web Site)

> I think a program to translate Visual Basic programs to something native to
> Linux would be a useful tool.  It would allow VB programs to be brought over
> without having to be re-written, and they could then be maintained and extended
> on Linux.  However, I don't think VB is widely used by educators in designing
> courseware (if I'm wrong, please correct me).  HyperCard used to be the program
> of choice for such things, and now I believe it's HyperStudio.
>
> The closest thing to those currently available on Linux is MetaCard
> <http://www.metacard.com>, a commercial product.  It looks quite useful, and
> they have reasonable educational prices.

I've been trying to figure out just what HyperStudio does that
makes it special.  Certainly the hypertext notion of linking and
whatnot is good, but the web can do that.  And if you do it on the
web, you are working on a peer level with the rest of the world
instead of with a specially educationally-oriented product like
HyperStudio.

Now, HyperStudio does have a nice WYSIWYG interface, semi-
dynamic content, a layout-oriented (vs. structural) design, all
packaged in a single file.

But the WYSIWYG for HTML is certainly possible.  I don't know
what things are out their -- I've really only used Netscape
Composer, which looks like a word processor more than a desktop
publishing program.  Having an underlying structural basis in HTML
isn't that bad, and is worth the benefit of being able to share.

The dynamic things you can do with HyperStudio aren't all that
impressive.  I'm working with HyperLogo right now and it's pissing
me off terribly.  The alternative is HTML is CGI scripting,
JavaScript, and perhaps some of the shockwave (etc.) stuff.  I don't
know JavaScript (or Java), but I imagine that it has the potential to
do the rest of what HyperStudio does.  It would have to be
integrated in the WYSIWYG editor for it to be accessible.

The impression I've gotten is that HyperStudio has succeded more
due to marketing than any particular educational or technical virtue.
But isn't that always the story :-/

I think the web is a better replacement for HyperStudio than Visual
Tcl would probably be (though I haven't looked at vtcl).  I think
content, not behavior, is at the core of what people try to do with
HyperStudio.  A programming environment (like vtcl) is suited well
to complicated behavior, but the web is better suited to content --
it's platform-neutral (more or less -- I assume anything people
would make under Linux would be platform-neutral), easily
distributed (its most powerful benefit), and ubiquitous (per my
previous arguments against KidPrograms).

--
Ian Bicking <bickiia@earlham.edu>