Re: Developer's Tools (was Re: Archives and Web Site)

Does it matter what it's programmed in?

Something like hypercard would be good. In British schools we use magpie, genesis
and a few others. They're pretty simple - but that's their strength. If you want
the average user to be able to use it, that includes both teachers and students,
then it's gotta be simple. Personally,  I saw hypercard about 9 years ago on an
old Mac SE. I don't know what it's capable of these days.

We can talk forever about how it could be implemented technically or which
programs are out there but would anyone like to give some specific information of
what the design should be like? Personally, I always like to think in detail
about how the program would be to the user before I'd think about how it should
be programmed.

Should it have some kind of scripting language? If so, what should this script be
like?

Personally, I think such a thing should have two different levels that had
compatible files. One level for young ones with no scripting that could maybe
used as a simple DTP pack as well. One level for older ones and students with
simple test conditions and the like to generate more complicated files.

Correct me if I'm wrong but these scripting languages tend to be based around
natural language albeit simplified. Wouldn't we want to hide the language from
the user if they don't want to see it anyway? The average user should be able to
setup a presentation which tests the user's responses without needing to know any
scripting language.

The thing to do is to get something working - even if it doesn't support all the
audio visual formats. Then it can be expanded on.

Roman.