Re: Web Site

Malonowa wrote:

> There are currently more than 140 people on the mailing list. I'd have
> thought that more could be discussed than logo.

Me too, but the reality is that before you joined the list there was far less
discussion. You've been a big help in stirring things up. Thanks.

> There are a lot of people out there who overdo the graphics and don't
> compress them properly. It shouldn't be a problem. As for animation, I
> wouldn't go overboard on that - it's not really appropriate anyway.
>
> But remember that we want to attract volunteers from both education and
> programming. A lot of people have expectations when they visit a site and
> dissapointing them wouldn't do any good. Whilst I don't think graphics
> should be overdone, a site should look smart - people are impressed by
> visuals and it will effect their decision to join in.

One of our problems is that we don't adequately deal with the people we are
currently attracting. For example, in
http://www.seul.org/archives/seul/edu/May-1999/msg00160.html a 9th grader
asked a simple question. Here is an excellent potential helper. Yet nobody
bothered to answer him.

> How long have you been on the list bob?

seul-edu since it was started in Nov. 1998. Seul 4-5 months prior. Total
about a year.

> If you join irc at sel then create a seul-edu channel and we can talk. I
> look at it regularly. Or I may have opened an edu channel.

Here is another example. What does one do to join irc? Why don't we have
instructions on the seul-edu site or more appropriately on the Seul site? We
are not getting these little things done. Currently this is my primary
objective. As far as irc goes it raises security issues one has to deal with.

Bob