Re: gperiodic

Georges Khaznadar wrote:

> Robert Hopcroft wrote:
> > If you're looking for something challenging, that I would be surprised if anyone
> > else has done, consider providing a means to hear the pronunciation of the name
> > of the chemical element chosen.
>
> That could be part of a template for html structures to be bound to
> each element. Any good html browser can be tuned do handle many
> formats of sound files, as well as other documents, like flat
> animations, vrml, etc.
>
> Can we agree about a template including

[snip]

These sound to me like good suggestions for a template.  One thing that
I was initially concerned about is having things like vrml that require
browser plug-ins to be able to display.  However, if a program like this
is to be used primarily in schools, that corresponds to an "intranet"
where you can ensure the availability of the needed plug-ins.  So we
should be able to include such bells and whistles without worrying too
much about the general availability of the software needed to take
advantage of them, so long as we put links to that software on the page
for the program that needs them.

Another thing occurred to me.  Camilla raised a valid point about
accents and dialects.  If we try to provide audio files for all
languages and accents, the program will become gigantic and unwieldy.
How about providing an easy-to-use interface for the instructor using
the program to record those audio files him or herself?  That would keep
the download small and allow the audio to be immediately localized for
the particular environment.  It could be considered just part of the
initial setup.

If the interface is made general enough it might be useful in a wide
variety of educational software.