Audio input (was Re: gperiodic)

Doug Loss wrote:

> > > How about providing an easy-to-use interface for the instructor using
> > > the program to record those audio files him or herself?

I've looked around a bit and found two packages that look as though they
might be easily usable for something like this.  The first is Audiokit
<http://www.kolumbus.fi/sami.tikka/audiokit.html>.  It looks as though
it would be trivial to add to almost any program.  The second is
sound-recorder
<http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/sound/recorders/!INDEX.html>.  I
don't know anything more about it than the name.

There are a number of Linux recorders, but almost all of them are
multi-track, stereo, special effects tools for serious audio
enthusiasts.  I think something like what I've mentioned above would
probably fill this capability better.