Another introduction

I'm new to this group and thought I'd dive in and say hi. Looking through
the archives I get the impression that this is a quite technically based
group and I'm coming from a different direction.

I am an educational software designer (and consequently starving) based in
the UK and designing mostly (though not exclusively) for a company called
Topologika. Topo is a very small company with a lot of contract/royalty
work - it's dedicated to trying to keep some sort of creative excitement
within educational ICT, though we do drill and practice too as that's what
sells :-/

We're interested in maybe versioning one or two of our programs for Linux so
really I'm here with a watching brief while we decide what to do. Certainly
I support anything that breaks the wintel monopoly (though I started with,
and still write for, wonderful Acorn Computers) and gives learners greater
reliable access to ICT.

I have no idea of the current state of Linux in schools world wide,
certainly is rare as rocking horse droppings in the UK. Any outline of the
current situation would help.

If anyone wants to see what I've done visit http://www.marshal.co.uk and
topologika is as http://www.topologika.com - I'd be especially interested in
views on the kind of software that goes down well within the Linux community
and thoughts on the viability of our current packages.

Toodle pip

Marshal