Re: Promath

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 23:44:32 Robert Hopcroft wrote:

> First I want to mention that I have started work on developing some math
> quiz material but that's for another post. However it did raise a
> question and I want to make sure I'm getting things right. The student
> will see a question to be answered or explored. The question is not
> restricted to text only, but could involve a sketch of a geometric
> figure.

Another kind of answer would be an algebraic expression to be compared
with another expression. It can't be compared by using textual matching,
even regular expressions. It does need a symbolic evaluator able demonstrate
equivalences.

> This raises the issue of displaying the geometric figure with
> labels etc. In some cases, it would be very helpful for the student to
> be able to rotate the figure, especially for 3D objects.

For 2D objects, a module communicating with DrGeo would be sufficient.
Would Hilaire Fernandes like to develop a communication protocol for
DrGeo ?

> Ok, it sounds to me like the student will start out seeing a web page.
> Forgive me if I'm dense, but what's stopping the student from turning
> off the teacher and going and doing what the student feels like? Is the
> student using an X-terminal or a computer acting as an X-terminal? If so
> where do web pages come in? If web pages, does the student get them by
> using a web browser and URL's. If so what's stopping the student from
> picking any URL the student feels like?

the gateway for the local network can do some parsing of the URL's, or
it can restrict the access to a local mirror.

Georges Khaznadar,
Laboratoire de Dynamique et Structure des Materiaux Moleculaires
Equipe de Thermophysique de la Matiere Condensee - UPRESSA CNRS 8024
Universite du Littoral, MREID,145 Route du Pertuis d'Amont - M. Schumann
59140 DUNKERQUE - FRANCE

Telephone +33 (0)3 28 65 82 42
Fax       +33 (0)3 28 65 82 41
web       http://boltz.univ-littoral.fr/~ltpmc/