Re: Roster and EduML

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 12:33:31PM -0700, jim@mercury.laney.edu wrote:

> Looked at eduml, my first impression is this form is going to be slow to parse.
> However, it will be possible to create a script to import eduml (looking at it
> as coming from, say, the district mainframe and as a list of students that are
> either current or dropped) and also export the main db in eduml as well.

Some people store XML fragments in an SQL database.  That should solve any
slowness problems.  My XML files are probably not big enough yet to cause me
slowness.  Searching through a 12,000 entry library resource file converted
into EDUML goes lightning fast with sgrep (xml grep)

> I will pass a description of eduml to the district mainframe programmer; she
> might be interested in exporting in this form or at least housing translators.

Make sure she groks XML first eh? :-)  I'll be glad to work with her if
anything comes of this.

Bruno